Arrow is continuing their strong start and we are only two episodes in. Despite low ratings on the season opener last week, the storytelling is entertaining and engaging.
This week’s episode is called Recruits and the title just hits the spot. We have Team #Arrow 2.0 with newbies Curtis Holt (#MrTerrific in the making), tough guy Rene Ramirez (Wild Dog, though he loathes the name) and the tenacious Evelyn Sharp.
The way they are trained by Oliver reminded me of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket. In fact, I think Stephen Amell drew at least some inspiration from the Sarge.
Meanwhile Diggle has his own newbies to handle. He has taken on a military mission and takes some newbs with him. However, it is all a trap and soon the newbie is shot and Diggle taken prisoner and made scapegoat so that the rest can get rich by stealing some weaponry. When will Diggle come back to Team Arrow? We really need him.
The Bratva Trials are not for the weak
In the flashbacks, which seem to be more on point this season, Oliver is trying to impress the Bratva and a way to get past the trials is the same way Oliver is trying to train his new recruits. The trial’s objective was to ring a bell. But you are hindered by men who defend the bell. The key to success was teamwork. While Oliver succeeds in the flashback, his new recruits in the present don’t. But Oliver isn’t as ruthless as the Bratva. Those guys didn’t survive. Except Oliver ofcourse. Remind me to never play Capture the Flag against or with the Bratva. I want to live!
Last season Felicity was forced to drop a nuke on a city with 10.000 people and we were promised that it would have its’ consequences throughout season 5. And the consequences now have a face. That face belongs to Ragman. He wears 2000 year old rags that some sort of mystical powers. He was wrapped in them by his father and is the sole survivor of Havenrock. While he goes out for revenge of the CEO of the company that made the nuke, he gives it up to save The Green Arrow from the hands of Tobias Church, who has him on the floor defenseless. Felicity who monitored the situation, watched the speech of Ragman and her feelingsof guilt kick in. I wonder what exactly will happen to Felicity. Because so far, in these past five seasons, being a vigilante and so on has been just a game for her. The nuke however changed everything and she may finally realize that being a vigilante is not just a game but more than that with grave consequences.
Oh yah, #Ragman joins Team Arrow 2.0 and that should provide another interesting dynamic with Felicity knowing what she did and Ragman not knowing that the one who killed his family and friends in Havenrock is standing right in front of him.
Ofcourse this won’t take long for him to find out but more importantly, what will Ragman do about it? And how will Felicity handle it? What about the rest of Team Arrow 2.0? Trust is one of the themes this season. Will they be able to trust Oliver, Felicity and the rest of the Original Team Arrow when they find out what happened to the nuke?
Thoughts and Questions we have about Recruits
- How deep is Tobias Church infiltrated in Star City? He has the CEO of Amertak in his pocket and is able to buy enough weaponry to level down a city. But for what purpose? Are we blowing up #StarCity? Mighty ambitious if you ask me!
- What is going on with Quentin Lance? I know he is going through a tough time but he can find his way back and take up the offer Thea makes.
- Anyone else had a sudden urge to watch Johnny Cash’ “Walk the Line” biopic after hearing the sentence “On the line” several times. I know it is not exactly the same but still…
- #OliverQueen sure gets teased a lot. First by Felicity and then by Felicity and Thea. Hopefully he will tease them back at some point. Would like to see how that goes.
- The Wild Dog codename running gag is funny.
- Please bring Thea back as #Speedy!
- The man in black (see what I did there) is a man of skill! Calls himself #Prometheus and takes down Tobias Church with ease. He or she is obviously very skilled but who is it?
For more #GreenArrow tune in for DC’s Legends of Tomorrow first episode of season 2. Caity Loitz asked a few castmembers who their favorite character on Legends is. Watch Cisco Ramon, Nick Zano and Supergirl answer that question!